Part of The Big Feastival 2018 line up...
Often called the ‘Yummy Brummie’, Glynn Purnell started cooking professionally at the age of 14. After securing a work experience placement in a hotel kitchen, he spent the next two years catching the No 966 bus to the Metropole Hotel at the NEC where he was quickly promoted to making salads and flipping burgers. A six-year stint followed, gaining experience in every department from banqueting to the A La Carte Terrace Restaurant, where he discovered his talent and passion for fine dining. It wasn’t long before he began winning awards including the prestigious Salon Culinaire.
His next professional step was as Chef de Partie at Simpson’s Restaurant where he progressed to the position of Sous Chef. The restaurant was awarded a Michelin star and Glynn went on to win many accolades within the industry.
After training with top chefs including Gordon Ramsay, Gary Rhodes and Claude Bosi, Glynn travelled abroad to work with well-known Michelin starred chefs in Europe. He went on to help launch Jessica’s in July 2003, which was awarded Birmingham’s first Michelin star back in 2005. Glynn is now the proud owner of two establishments in Birmingham, Purnell’s Restaurant on Cornwall Street, which opened in July 2007 and was awarded a Michelin star in 2009, and Purnell’s Bistro & Ginger’s Bar on Newhall Street, which opened in September 2012.
Glynn has become a household name after taking part in the Great British Menu, winning twice and then later appearing as a mentor. He has previously featured on The Great British Food Revival and The Secret Chef, among other television programmes. He can regularly be seen on Saturday Kitchen as a host and guest chef. He presented the latest series of My Kitchen Rules UK alongside Rachel Allen on Channel 4 last year.
AWARDS & ACCOLADES
- Michelin Star- 2005, 2006,2007
- AA Restaurant of the Year (England) 2005
- Birmingham's only entry in Egon Ronay's UK" Best 200 Restaurant Guide" 2005
- West Midlands only 2-star entry in Egon Ronays' UK "Best 200 Restaurant Guide " 2006.
- Good Food & Gardens Guide Regional Newcomer 2005
- West Midlands top entry in "THE INDEPENDENT" October 2005 50 Best UK Gourmet Restaurants
- Birmingham Post Regional Restaurant of the Year 2004
- Metro Restaurant of the Year 2005
- The best Newcomer Restaurant of the Year 2008, The craft Guild of Chefs